Burnhope Community Centre (formerly Burnhope Community association) became a Charitable incorporated Organisation (CiO / Charity number: 1162463) in June 2015.
We have been in existence since 1969 and we were originally set up to oversee the running of a new community centre.
Since the demolition of our old community centre in 2007, due to health and safety problems, we continued to operate as a management committee although without a building, nor activities/services to deliver.
In 2017 the Big Lottery Reaching Communities Fund gave the management committee permission to start works after they had finalised several land and legal documents with the County Council and Land Registry.
The Committee and their building professional D3 Associates met with the commissioned builders McCarricks and agreed a 26 week construction period which started on the 27th November. This will see a completion date of the last week in May 2018 however, due to bad weather and delays in utility connections the completion date was put back to the end of June.
The Community Centre committee will be working with their other partners, Durham Community Action and Bullion Hall, to start regular volunteer meetings to help look at the role of the volunteers in managing and the day to day running of the centre and to develop an ongoing evaluation and monitoring process so that the management committee and its volunteers can keep on top of what local residents want out of their community centre.
We already have a list of volunteers, but if anyone else is interested in helping out then they should get in touch.
Burnhope Community Centre Aims and Objectives
• to provide a community asset;
• to provide a facility which is available to all members of the community regardless of age, gender, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation;
• to make available to all, opportunities for learning, social interaction, recreation and leisure, family and volunteering
• to meet further needs for activities;
• to improve the lives of residents by providing facilities which would otherwise be unavailable or inaccessible;
• to raise aspirations and life expectations.
Why not ask us how you can be involved in the development of our lovely community?